Sunday, June 13, 2010

The writer in me

As you may well know, I love me some stand up comedy. And the comedy I love is those quick. quippy, one liners. The ones that make sure you're on your toes. Eddie Izzard. Jim Norton. Jim Jefferies. Joe Rogan. Bill Hicks. Jon Dore. Harland Williams. Some well known. Some not so much. But all of them have one thing in common: it's all about the nuances.

So it seems a non-sequitor that I bring up a movie now, but it isn't really. Saw Iron Man 2 today. If you haven't seen it, do. The writing was amazing. The one-liners thrown in throughout the movie were hysterical. At one point, my friend scolded me: "it isn't that funny." No, really, it is.

The humor was quick and sharp. The details were amazing. But, like so many things, the details were there for those who were on their toes.

Chatting with a friend later we realized, "If only the world were as sharp as us..."

OK. I'm a bit of a narcissist. But so is Tony Stark. So there.