Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Damn Leftist Elitists

So, I'm almost halfway through Team Bonding Extravaganza 2010 Part One. I hate this shit. I like some of the people I work with. I love some of the people I work with. I hate some of the people I work with. And others? Well, it's wicked complicated.

(And yes, I know there are many dangling participles in the previous 'graph. Deal.)

So this Group Hug shit drives me wicked crazy.

Regardless. Or irregardless. (They mean the same thing btw.) We all went to Blue Man Group tonite. Just so happens I wind up sitting next to CBL.

Not going to pretend the show wasn't mesmerizing. The "actors" were phenomenal. And even though the show was a visual and aural extravaganza, I also was really blown away by the social and metaphorical commentary the show offered.

Or maybe that was just me.

Because CBL sat there and laughed and giggled at the silly bits and couldn't seem to understand why I was disturbed at some bits or gleeful at others.

So, yes, I spent a lot of the show evaluating and comparing my reaction to the performance to the reaction of those around me. Which, I guess, is pretty Meta. And I guess I'm still on the fence about whether this is a good thing or bad thing.

But I do know that it made me realize I am glad that I have friends who could go out for coffee with me after this show and discuss/debate the meaning behind the cool drumming, the boggling blacklight effects, the atmospheric use of audience participation, A community to evaluate the commentary on decadence/consumerist nature of society, the duality of seeing and being seen, the effects of conformity and non-conformity, and the commercialization of art.

Because CBL thought it was just really funny to see a bunch of guys force feeding Cap'n Crunch.

I saw an expose on the commercialization and devaluation of consumption and the loss of communal values.

Does this make me a damn elitist? Probably. Am I glad that it does? Probably. But the jury is still out on the issue...