Saturday, April 14, 2007

Step It Up

Today was a national day of rallies, organized by Bill McKibben's Step It Up to focus attention on climate change. And I should have gone. I wanted to go.

Instead, I went outside.

Today was 55 degrees and sunny. Tomorrow Boston is supposed to be hit by a Nor'Easter. Rain, wind, cold. Nasty nasty weather. (Climate change anyone?) I just had to go for a hike.

Plus, it was a really great way to decompress before my hellish week in Hotlanta. Although now that Napolean isn't going, it will be much MUCH better.

So, I went off to the Blue Hills Reservation and did the Skyline Loop. It was great. Beautiful weather, lots of changes in scenery, a really challenging hike.

I would post a bunch of the gorgeous pictures I took, but there weren't any batteries in the camera I dragged along. I am ridiculous.

And, true to form, the first half hour of hiking I was stressed and focused and motoring on like a Type A Fire personality. But about an hour and change into the hike, I mellowed out and let my mind wander. I came up with two ideas for stories and had some interesting exchanges with some Boy Scouts. Don't ask - don't tell.

All in all, it was a pretty good day.

And while I didn't do anything publicly to help climate change, I did pick up a water bottle someone had left along the trail and disposed of it properly.

Everything counts, right?